Monday, February 13, 2017

Stop trying to 'cure' everything with nutrition...

I eat well. Sure, not perfectly, and people can always nit-pick at what they see as being all the things that I could improve. But, I eat pretty damn well.
And yet, I'm still beset by chronic pain and tension, and bouts of depression. The reality is that I have some shit going on. Just like everyone else.
I have Crohn's Disease and Bipolar disorder and you know what? I'm sick of quacks and pseudoscientists claiming that they have the answer and that they can 'cure' people of all their ails through diet or supplements, pills and potions. Many of them have been on their own 'health journey' (God I hate that term) and put themselves up as a bastion of purity. "Look I did it, and so can you!"
Which is some bona fide bullshit.
Everyone is different.
We, as practitioners should strive simply to support our patients, to the very best of our ability, with pragmatic, evidence-based interventions, and then, let the chips fall where they may.
Claiming to 'cure' typically lacks any type of scientific robustness, and is an ego-play driven by anecdotes and half-truths.
Let's get back to being human, working with our own challenges and pitfalls, striving to be better, but safe and comfortable in the knowledge that we are all imperfect. And that's OK.